Saturday 8 November 2014

Chris' View

I am still trying to visualise what the changes yesterday to GCSE and A level might mean for my students from 2016 and note this will be from September 2015 if you do GCSE over 3 years!

There is evidence that the current GCSE isn't working and I put my hands up here that we are teaching to the test. The positives from the new criteria is it broader with more emphasis on 'traditional' aspects of Theology and Religious Studies. I love the fact there is more depth, diversity, rigour, synoptic links and contextualisation of religion. Tim Oates says “students study fewer things in greater depth so they really master fundamental concepts in a subject.” I agree, this has to be a positive step forward, you certainly cannot 'cherry pick' your religion or course anymore! It also goes without saying that two or more religions have to be included to reflect our diverse and multicultural society in the UK. Further, the progression and relationship between GCSE and A level will enable students to be stretched and challenged and I believe prepare students with a broader education for University courses in both TRS and P&E. Ultimately, it will enable better RE teachers, isn't this what we all want?

However, the questions and challenges for us are a school are: What will some of my weak GCSE students study now? Having 320 students who take RE through a Philosophy and Ethics course in Year 9 and finish the course in Year 10 in one hour a week, can we realistically teach this course? What will happen to our good results? Will we have to be more selective about who we enter? Will this mean an increase in the students who do Entry Level for our bottom sets? Will I need to approach my Head teacher about getting more time for GCSE RS? Is the only way we can teach this new criteria effectively through an option subject in 2 hours plus a week? Is this a good move for core RE in the UK? Where is the inclusion of animal rights/planet earth/medical ethics in this criteria? 

I am still taking in and processing all the change and whilst I don’t have the answers yet, I know what we all need to do to have our voices heard whilst this is a consultation document. #savere, please!

Chris Giles (Head of RE - South Bromsgrove High School) @sbhsrs 

No comments:

Post a Comment